Friday, July 31, 2009

Can a baby parakeet share a cage w/ 4 finches?

HI! Can a 2 1/2 mo. baby parakeet share a cage with 4 finches (2 cordon bleus and 2 star finches)? The finches live in a large cage 18x30x36. I just bought a white parakeet the store only had one and I fell in love w/ it. Now I feel a bit bad that its by itself in its own cage. (I know a bird needs to be in its own cage for a couple weeeks before putting it in w/other birds). I will probably go out and buy another solid parakeet once I find one but in the mean time until I do. I am curious to know if finches and parakeets can share a cage?
Answers:
No. Not at all, not even for a minute. For starters, your parakeet will probably attack your finches. Second, they eat different foods and need different size perches. Third, your parakeet doesn't 'need' a friend of any sort, birds are perfectly content living alone if you actually spend time with them like you should. Either way, don't mix the birds. If you insist on getting another parakeet, so be it, but keep the species together.
Don't know...don't care...quit asking this question over and over again!
My experience with finches was that two of them killed a third finch. So I would say no, not even for a short time.
no, that would be interracial. birds of a feather flock together.
They can't live together 24/7 but they can spend a little bit of time together out of the cage (if you let your finches out of the cage that is)
They can have bath time together, and eat treats together outside of the cage, but they can't live together
Parakeets arn't usually the nicest bird when having it with birds of a different species, they will even pick on cockatiels if given the chance, so i wouldnt risk your finches well being
If you play with your parakeet and give her plenty of time out of the cage then she won't become lonely
Yes. But but as long as they are babies. Trust me i own a pet shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment