Friday, July 31, 2009

Can a Parakeet survive outside in the winter?

There is a wild Parakeet that is eating out of the birdfeeder outside our house. Will it survive when the winter comes? never seen one around are place before. thanks.
Answers:
Depends where you are..Parakeets do survive in temperatures below freezing, but at what cost! If they have to spend a long, cold winter without proper shelter they merely vegetate. They may stay alive, but it can hardly be called living. In their native Australia parakeets experience temperatures comparable to our winters (UK) only for a few hours in the night, not for days and weeks on end...
I"m not sure where you live, but parrots in the wild in the United states are being seen more and more. Sometimes they learn to adapt really well, no matter how extreme the temperature. Quaker parrots (also parkeet) live wild in places like New York , New Jersey, Illinois ( and lots of other states too) where it gets extremely cold in the winter. They favor urban areas, and people believe it may be because of the constant supply of things to eat. One of my favorite sites on wild parrot flocks is www.brooklynparrots.com. The bird that you are seeing may be some ones that has escaped. I would check and see in your area if anyone has put out any ads or flyers, and keep your bird feeder full!

9 comments:

  1. I have a parakeet in my yard in Chicago. He made his home in one of my outside birdhouses. He eats from the bird feeder. It's warm now but will be cold in the later months. I want to bring him in my house but should I worry about his health from being in the wild??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown in Chicago- I have the same situation up here in Madison WI....parakeet clearly got loose from a home and is at my feeders all the time. He is getting along OK with the finches, for the most part....but I worry about the cold weather coming, too. I may put out a cage and see if he will enter it but hanging the cage off of my porch balcony ceiling area. Let me know how you fare...

      Delete
    2. I am having the same situation on our farm near Peoria Illinois. It's holding it's own hanging out with sparrows and finches. I have a cage set up with string to the door. He visits and eats. Enjoys the seed and mullet. Has nearby shelter but spends night in apple tree with his buddies. Responds to bell twinkles and raddeling of the bell. We have possible frost this weekend. Am I running out of time? Any suggestions?

      Delete
    3. Everyone. It is very hard for them to survive extended periods of cold they basically vegetate and do not recover well if they survive it all. They can withstand a couple of hours of the cold but not days on end. Please bring these little babies inside and save their lives

      Delete
  2. I have a parakeet outside my house he sings to me but won,t let me to close I put a cage on the ground and plenty of bird seed and water.he lives with the brown sparrows how can I make him warm for winter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a parakeet visiting our feeder in north central Texas. He has been around for 3 months. The first freeze is coming in a few nights. He hangs out with whatever birds are at the feeder but doesnt have enough fear of our big dogs. I just watch and hope the cold wont be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same situation, its a white parakeet white a blue belly.So adorable, he won't let me close but knows me.I put out a cage and food..😫

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same issue here. Belvidere IL. Parakeet spotted today. We just got 2-3 inches of snow and single digit wind chill temps are coming. Not sure what to do about the little guy outside.

    ReplyDelete