Friday, July 31, 2009

Budgies/Parakeets throwing eggs out of nest box?

Every time I try to breed them, I think its the male that goes into the box and throws the eggs out. I have seen him go in and I have heard the hen rolling the eggs around in there and making quite a racket, whos doing it and how can I stop it and breed them succesfully?
Is it the male who wants to keep mating so he throws the eggs out?
It goes fine for maybe a week and then they kill them, its very upsetting because the eggs break and I can see the chicks inside.
They are in a very large cage.

How can I stop this??
Answers:
Many times eggs will be thrown from the nest if they are infertile or dead. Are you sure that you are giving your birds a diet which has all the nutrients needed to ensure healthy egg laying?
Are you giving extra calcium?
Have you checked the vitamin and mineral requirements for healthy eggs?
If you have done these things and are giving a proper diet and a proper nesting box environment, then you have a real mystery.
Good luck.
I don't blame him, I hate a lumpy bed.
My husband, who used to breed birds (at one time he had over 200) said that he's doing this either because a) there is something wrong with the egg, or b) there is something wrong with the conditions of the cage/nesting box. There's really not much you can do to stop it. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment