Friday, July 31, 2009

Can a sun conure breed with a peach fronted conure?


Answers:
It's possible, but don't encourage it.
Sun conures have been crossed with Jendays (the offspring are called "Sundays", I'm not kidding).
NO! Species of birds are not like breeds of dogs. These are two different species. They probably Can interbreed, but shouldn't. Doing this would create a hybrid that would probably be sterile. It would be like breeding a horse and a donkey to create a mule.
Well, I have a hybrid (senegal and a african red belly parrot) and my bird is fine. I have contacted a lot of parrot experts on this (before I bought the baby bird) and they said that hybrids are just as fine as a pure breeds. Actually, they are more better at not getting sick than full breeds since they have two different genes. Kinda like dogs, muts tend to live longer than full breed dogs. But anyway, it doesn't really matter becasue you will still have a great companion (if you decide to keep them that is) So if you're worried about having birds that will not be healthy, that won't be the issue. And yes they can breed together but, most people are against it. I hope this helps you in a bit. Oh yeah, there has been lots of hybrids too.. there are lots of macaw hybrids, indian ringneck hybrids and so on... good luck!
Conures are probably one of the most popular species that hybridize. In captivity, that is, it is very rare in the wild. We have a Sunday conure. Sun + Jenday hybrid, alot of these crosses are frowned on. I love my bird though, he's smart, he's beautiful, and his personality is the best. People get pretty defensive over crossbreeding species, because of polluting the blood-lines. But breeders (not just of birds, dogs and cats too) are always looking for something different. I'm just neutral on the subject. There are too many breeders out there that are going to continue to do this, and I love my bird and wouldn't trade him for the world. But I don't think I would try to cross breed on purpose either. Jendays, suns and nandays are probably the most frequently crossed.
Hmmmm well yes is the answer

3 comments:

  1. can a sunday conure can be breed again to jenday or sun conure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can a sunday conure can be breed again to jenday or sun conure? can any one help me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can a jenday conure cross breed with a dusky conure or peach fronted conure?or does it have to be a nanday or sun conure?

    ReplyDelete