Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bird question?

Here is my question...I have an awesome green cheek conure and I am looking to get one more birds that is lovable playful and a clown like my conure..I have a choice between a latino ring neck or jenday conure...I thought about a senegal but they are to high.my buddy to own a bird store says she only knows about ringneck babies and they are sweet..she dosn't know to much about adults she did say a jenday will bigger then my grren cheek so I might want to stay awy from that...any thoughts??
Answers:
You have to be careful with ringnecks, they are very beautiful but very strong willed especially the females. I had to rehome my female ringneck because she kept trying to kill my cockatiels. They are not a bird to get without doing your homework first.That's not to say not to get one , just be informed.But the breeder above my answer is right, the green cheek will probably keep everyone in line ! What about another green cheek ? They are rather cute! Good luck in whatever you decide.
Hi,
Ringnecks are gorgeous but then again so are sun conures and jenday conures.
The only think with the suns and jendays is the noise, they are very loud and scream an awfull lot, seriously consider the noise factor before you buy one, I Have bred them for years and find alot of people really dont understand how loud they can be and they often end up re-selling them.
But yeah both are gorgeous, my first choice would be the jenday, if you could put up with the noise, it would be a touch bigger and built out than a green cheek not much bigger in height but the way they are built (stocky) makes them seem it.
If anything your green cheek would put the jenday in line, green cheeks of all birds seem to be the ones who stand up to any bird the most! Even often trying to bully the macaw (bad idea) LOL
good luck
I highly recommend not getting birds that are of various size beaks eg: one with a larger beak than the other. When that happens, should the birds ever get out of their cages at the same time you might end up with a badly damaged or dead bird. The larger beaked bird will look on the smaller beaked bird as competition and possibly food.
Do research on the birds you're considering buying. See what they have in common, any size variations, what size cages are needed, etc. Do this before you buy the bird so you know what you're getting yourself and the bird into.
Remember also, when you bring the new bird home to keep it in quarantine for at least 30-45 days to ensure that it didn't bring any diseases into your home. Also have it checked out by an avian vet to make sure it's healthy.
If the pet store you want to buy the bird from won't allow a return if the vet does not give it a good bill of health then don't buy from there. Speaking from experience I once bought a cockatiel from the same place I'd bought my first. I had a vet check it over and was told the poor thing had 3 days at BEST to live as it was so ill. I took the bird, along with the vet report back to the store and got my money back. The ill bird was dead by the next day according to the store.
Jendays or Nanday conures are a good choice

No comments:

Post a Comment