Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bird/parrot experts??

I wanted to know if anybody has an unclipped pet bird, that flies, but won't fly 'away'. Or, do you think it's possible that a bird could be attached to a human to the point of him flying away not being an issue. Like people are relatively confident that a dog won't just run off...usually. Can a bird be that reliable??
Answers:
hi,
there is no guarantee with it happening, someone had 1of my handreared sun conures, it took to her like nothing i have ever seen before, it would not leave her shoulder, she used to go out in the garden and do the gardening with it sat there on her shoulder, its never flown off.
But then on the other hand i would never ever take such a chance,
Yes they could get attached to the point they wont fly, but all it takes is for a very loud bang, maybe a dry thunder someones car horn, and no matter how attached to you the bird is theres the possibility it could get spooked and just fly without thinking, then it may find itself stuck up a tree, scared to move, only takes a crow or another bird to try to attack it and you can say bye to it as u'll not get it back.
In my opinion its not worth risking it, even clipped birds have the ability to fly, they only need to be out and catch a strong air current open their wings and they are gone, according to a survey over half the birds that exscaped last year had clipped wings, just goes to show nothing is safe really.
In my opinion no they cannot be that reliable.
I have a friend who has a sulfur crested cockatoo that he has had for many years and is trained to fly to him, No Matter What.
This is unusual. Very unusual. The man is a bird whisperer.
I would never attempt this with my African Greys and Amazons.
I wouldn't trust that they might want to fly off.. My Ekkie is very attatched to me but even with that I clip his wings.. I would be heart broken if he ever got away from me.. I have him outside all the time and to be super safe he has a harness just in case.. It is for thier safety as well.. Please clip his wings..
just as an after thought all my birds go outside to thier outside avery I built for them and I take them 1 by 1 all harnessed and every one of them has clipped wings...
Even if the bird is extremely attatcked to you it is VERY rare that he/she won't fly off. One little thing might scare or startle them and poof, they're gone.
Bird are prey animals and they rely on their instincts. If they are scared, they WILL fly away, no matter how attatched they are. I would never take that chance, even if the bird's wings are clipped because all it takes is a little wind and that little wind can carry your bird far away. Hope this helps!
OHHH - for Gods sake don't rely on attachment to keep a parrot from flying away!!
I had a quaker that loved me to death, would fly to me and sit on my head and preen my- one day i forgot he was on there and walked outside and he flew away.
then I had an african grey that had his wings clipped - I thought - was on my shoulder - took off and I couldn't find him. I was absolutely heartbroken!
Now my grey stays inside, and when I have to take him out, I put him in a pet carrier until I get him into the car.
Don't risk it. Parrots may love us but they can't find their way back to us when they fly off. and there is no pain quite like that of imagining your pet dying of hunger or being ripped apart by a hawk.
No. It is too risky. A bird will spook easily, and fly off in a direction and just not fly back. It's not worth risking. You can always buy your bird a flight narness and then tkae him outisde and not have to worry about him flying off wheere you cannot reach him.
I have one Ruby Macaw that can fly but most of the time when he is not in hs cage he tends to come walking up to me. I would not suggest letting a unclipped bird outside no matter how trained they are without a harness on because I believe that if given the chance they would fly away even if it were up into the nearest tree. I find that no matter what my bird does not like to come down to often to be put back in his cage for the night. Unfortunately right now no matter what I give him, he is still a baby and likes to chew up all the wood in the house.
With all honesty, I would never have a pet bird outside. For many reasons.
First, things spook birds and you can not trust a bird to fly away from it.
Second: a tame bird that has been raised since birth can not care for themselves in the wild. They are use to human company no matter how much others will tell you otherwise.
Third: Please take into account the fact that there are birds of prey out there. They do not look to see if it is a pet bird or a wild bird, they all look like dinner to them.
Now for having full flighted birds, I think that it is best to have them that way. But you need safety precautions in place. Doors shut and locked, things that can harm the bird put away, and if you have other pets. Make sure that they are under control so as not to hurt your bird.
I have two welsh corgi's and I can not trust them not to run away if they are in a goofy mood. And I can not trust my birds any more then my dogs.
I have lost two birds due to having them flying off. One I lost to the local hawk, right after she took off. I can't blame the hawk as he was just getting a meal. Be careful with your birds.
I have 4 ekkies and 3 cockatiels. One of my ekkies is EXTREMELY attached to me to the extent that he insists I am the same species as he is; wont fly at all (he just hops to the ground and walks). He is not clipped but he is NOT allowed outside even for an instant without his flight suit. If we have guests coming over or if people are opening the door to leave or enter, even he gets sent into the bedroom until all access to the outside is blocked off.
I've spent 4 days chasing a bird (looked like it was a mitered or a cherry headed conure) that some dude thought was clipped enough to bring outside. this bird was HEAVILY clipped... every flight feather was cut off right up to the secondaries, and he still found a way to fly to the top of a 30 foot tree. after the four days of my friends and I spending hours trying to lure the bird down, it disappeared completely, and I'm guessing it hasn't been seen since. The guy never contacted us about finding it.
To make a long story short, DO NOT trust birds outside, EVEN IF THEY ARE CLIPPED. It's not worth loosing your friend because something startled it into taking off.
It depends upon the speceis of brids. If you like the bird a lot, you should not risk it either way.
Most cockatoos are very attached to their owners. Macaws and Amazons, however, are more strong-headed and may try to do what they want.
By clipping only thei birds outisde four or five feathers on each wing, they can safely glide to the ground (rather than fall like a rock) if they lose their balance, or make a short flight accross a room. The end feathers on each wing, however, being removed, will prevent them from getting much height.
I have seven parrots of every size, all of which are happy and healthy and well-adjusted. Enjoy your bird!
Birds are birds and they will fly away if you let them outside. Dogs are dogs and they rely on people to care for them, get food etc. Birds are pretty self sufficient; instinct tells them how and where to find food water etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment