Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bird trouble??

i want to get a macaw but im scared if i breathe in too much dander then ill have an allergy and i do love birds! Is there any experienced owner who has had a parrot for a long time and didnt get an allergy, is there any medicine that can stop allergies if you get them?
Answers:
My cockatiel lets of a great deal of dust every day. I'm ahsmatic %26 have allergies but my tiel hasn't affected me.
All you have to do is keep on top of your allergies %26 keep the house clean. This will minimize dander %26 allergies.
A lot of people are scared of that. More an likely you dont have anything to worry about. I would go to a bird store of you have one in your town and handle them frequenlt and see if you have a problem. Also some bird stores offer refunds if something like happens. I have a son with allergies to a lot of things and we have a parrot and 2 dogs and he hasnt had any problems. You can also see if your docotr can do an allergy test to see if you are allergic to birds. Good luck.
Unfortunately you can develop allergies at any time. Perhaps it would be best to spend some time at a friends house that owns birds to see how you would react? You could also speak to a vet or your own Dr about possible allergies and medicines that could be available should you develop one. Good luck!
If you are worried about allergies,don't get a bird!!
Oh brother, you people get brighter everyday, no kidding!
Are the walls closing in yet? If you think you'll have an allergy, then "don't get a bird"! Seems like you have a delusional paranoia of getting allergies from something you don't even have yet.
Guess what, I have allergies, and still had birds, but never to birds or their dander. I've had over 180 pairs of them and took care of all of them. Never once had an allergy to them.
Can it happen, of course it could, does it mean I would give my birds up, NEVER!! Is there a medicine for it, NOPE, so don't do it if you think you will give up your birds for an allergy. Not right for the animals.
I wouldn't go as far as to label it "bird trouble" either, it's human trouble, LOL
Macaws are a lot of work, but don't create as much dander as people thing. it's usually the cockatoos, tiels, and other birds that really create lots nad lots of dander. I have lived with birds all my life and my allergies sometimes go hay wire in winter and spring with all the pollen. But never birds. It could happen at any time really but now a days there are plenty of ways to deal with allergies even if you get them. Ask your doctor plain and simple. Keep the house clena, vacuum every day, and have an air filter. Plus I don't know if you have birds or not but a macaw is a big commitment adn I wouldn't recommend them to a person who hasn't owned a bird before. And I wouldn't count parakeets because they are way different.Macaws are realyl big and can be so loud. I know that iddn't have much to do with the question I was jsut pointing it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment