Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Are the fruits and veggies too hard for my parakeets?

My parakeets stated eating their fuits and veggies but they can't a piece. One is about 6-9 months old, another is 4-6 months old and the last one is 1-4 months old. Two has lines from their ceres to their head and the other has no lines from her cere to her head. She was the first one who ate the fuits and veggies that I gave them but she can't get a piece out of it.I just put it in front of their face and they eat it. What should I do?-I don't know how to chop the fruits and veggies into bite pieces.
Answers:
Are you sure about the age of the youngest one? That age would still need to be hand fed or fed by the parents if you are not hand feeding them. When they are old enough to eat regular food, once they are weaned, they can eat fruit and veggies, just chop the food up into very small bits and pieces. You can use a food processor, if you have one.
Try mashing them with a fork and let them peck at it like that.
I'm not sure I understand you..you say they don't eat it, but they do...?
Just use a kitchen knife to cut up the fruits and veggies into pieces about one eighth of an inch square. Then mix it in with their seeds and pellets. You can do this with fresh or dried fruits and veggies.
I bite my birds carrots for him because they are to hard for him to get pieces off. (note don't bite break if you are sick)

No comments:

Post a Comment