Monday, May 24, 2010

Do Canaries like toys?

I'm not sure what kind of toys would interest her, because i don't think she would enjoy the bells and shredders that my conure does. Do they like mirrors?
Oh and one quick question has anyone ever gotten a canary to sit on your finger or shoulder?
Answers:
All birds love toys (their cages would get very boring without them), but different types like different things. Remember the size of the bird. Canaries tend to enjoy things more like ladders and swings, I've known one person whose canary loved a particular pink plastic chain draped around the cage. Shredders are going to be useless for a canary because of their beak shape.
As far as getting one to sit on your finger, I've never had one do so for me, but I've heard (not seen) of others being able to train them to do so. One note, though: If you're going to try to train a small bird to perch on you and interact with you, DO NOT put a mirror in the cage. To train a bird to step up for you, you have to convince it that you are a part of it's flock, so to speak. If it sees another bird (its reflection), it will be constantly reminded that you are not, in fact, a bird, and therefore, not part of its flock.
I hope this was helpful.
they like all kinds of toys, bells mirrors, ect...
With reference to the first part of your question, the answer is: If you canary is young, she will definitely like to play with toys or watch herself in the mirror. All animals, estuarine or other, like to play. If not with others of the same species, then with toys. A classic example would be cats and dogs. When they're young, they love toys, as do small children. It's no different with birds. Yes,they love to watch themselves in a mirror. they think it's another bird for them to keep an eye on. I never got my canary to sit on my shoulder. Good luck with that one.
canaries like mirror , small ones, not really into toys but sometime they like to pull small ropes.If a canary sits on ur finger , and I mean sits not stand on it, it could have problem with his nails or he can be sck. Canaries can be domesticated but the usually do nopt " sit" So check the canary legs and nails and If necessary cut the nail. To do this use a sharp light under the nail and cut a bit over the vein that U will see inside the nail.

3 comments:

  1. I had a canary that got sick; we took him to the vet and had to start giving him medicine. After a while, he got used yo our hand and sat on it; he seemed to enjoy it.
    Sadly his disiase was hard to find out and after one year and a half without singing, he passed away :/

    Nowadays i have 2 canaries, 2 lovebirds and 3 cockatiels.

    I tried putting a swing on the canaries cage, but they tried to eat it! LOL. I just gave up after a while and took it off. I might try again sometime; i have two and only one had the chance to try it.

    The other birds love toys. my Lovebirds have a particular sense for destroying rope things. Just today i got them a Snuggle sack (a sort of tent for tem to play and sleep in). Still waiting to figure out what they think about it :)I'll buy some for the cockatiels too, and see if the canaries like it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My canaries (I "accidently" produced 8 young from 3 male canaries) seem to get bored with just food and each other to amuse themselves. I see them pecking at the spots where things join others (perch and bars, treat cup hangers) so I offer them leafy bamboo stems to tear up and little fibrous toys from the pet store. Color really attracts them, I am going to experiment with other forms of enrichment that they can pull on or tear up. They are smarter than I ever realized, so it seems right to keep them entertaining themselves with new items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My canaries (I "accidently" produced 8 young from 3 male canaries) seem to get bored with just food and each other to amuse themselves. I see them pecking at the spots where things join others (perch and bars, treat cup hangers) so I offer them leafy bamboo stems to tear up and little fibrous toys from the pet store. Color really attracts them, I am going to experiment with other forms of enrichment that they can pull on or tear up. They are smarter than I ever realized, so it seems right to keep them entertaining themselves with new items.

    ReplyDelete