Friday, May 21, 2010

Cockatiel, Quaker Parrot, or Conure?

which do you prefer as a pet
I already have a cockatiel and am planning on getting 1 more bird for now, i can't decide out of these 3 species, which do you think I should get
Answers:
Cockatiel are sweet tempered, gentle and socialable in nature and comes in several mutations,
Emerald %26/or Olive and more.
quakers are nice parrots and are not as loud as conures. it all depends on your likes and your surrounding. If you live in a condo or apt, best get a quaker because conure will prob. drive your neighbors nuts. They are very loud
cocatiel
Cockatiels are about the sweetest bird I've ever had, even all of my rescue tiels are sweet and tame, I've had over 20 of them and have yet to find one who wasn't great and easy to tame, they talk a little silly too, but will stop talking normally when others of the same kind are around.
Quakers are great too, but seem to be a little less wanting to play and cuddle with people but I've only had two of them. They can't play with other birds, both of mine are nice and tame but can push around my tiels even when the odds are 1 on 5. They talk really great though, and both still talk every morning and all day even though they live together. One of the best thing about them compared to the other birds I've had is for some reason they prefer to talk human more so then scream and tweet over and over if they want something. Plus unlike Tiels who mostly just mimic people, my quakers tell me exactly what they feel like eating, and you'll be damned if you give them banana when they've asked for apple. They do however have this weird little habbit that I've never seen with anyother kind of small parrots where they like to stick their butts outside of their cage and fling their droppings, I've heard from other people that their quakers do the same... so if you don't have a way to catch that it can be messy and a little gross.
I never personally had a Conure, however I've been told they are good but loud birds, that's the only solid facts I have on them however.
If you want yur tiel to have a friend to play with go with another tiel but keep in mind they might mate, and that is a horrible thing, for both the mother bird and the chicks if you don't know what you're doing.
If you want your tiel to have a friend that they can talk to but wont mate with and will maybe get him to talk more then the quaker is a lot of fun.
It depends on what kind of bird you are looking for. Like how much time can you spend with the new parrot, a conure will need more time than a quaker that needs at THE V ERY LEAST 3 hours of play time out side its cage with you.Please be more spicific of what you're looking for in a bird.
Thats funny! I have a quaker parrot and a cockatiel. Both, together, make great companion pets! They are wonderful together. They are best friends and love to follow and tease each other. I just got my quaker parrot and she is already laughing! If you want a sweet, cuddly, affectionate, good talking bird, thats small and easy to care for, get a quaker!! Mine even likes to take showers with me!! They are compared to african greys in their talking ability!! Good luck!!
Well I'd say cockatiel. You can keep them in the same cage if its large enough.
Conures tend to scream a lot and they have horrible piercing screams. Cockatiels calls are much nicer, easier to handle as you probably already know.
Get a handreared one whatever you choose.
Remember, feed him Harrisons organic birdfood, seeds just wont do.
Conures are lovely though, but cockatiels are the cheapest of the lot.
I dont have much experience with Quakers, but apparantly they are great pets too.
You could go to a bird rescue and see if they have any of the birds you're thinking about!
The decision is really up to you. No one can tell you what to get.

Good luck!
I have a Quaker and he is a GREAT pet! He does tend to scream if you don't give him enough attention, but he isn't as loud as a conure would be! He needs more attention that tiels would need though. They are very people oriented birds and do tend to bond with only 1 or 2 people and either bite of run away from anyone else.
The vocabulary on them is extensive too. :-)
Oh, and they LOVE water. Baths, being sprayed, being put under running faucets, etc. They're a lot of fun in that area. :-)
Good luck!
you should get another cockatiel but cockatiels carry diseases and can get other birds sick so be careful. I would prefer a conure if I were you but you are you and I am me.
All are great birds.
I would say a Quaker would give you and your birds a little variety. Quakers are very affectionate, and easy to train. And , although I dearly love our cockatiels, I must say that Quakers are more of a "people " bird . They love to be with people , to make comments about what you might be doing, to eat with you, to talk with you and just be with you for hours on end !
If you buy your Quaker an Avian Flight suit , you will be able to safely take him outside, shopping, on visits and to fun events. Our Quaker loves going to the local revolutionary War reenactment where he sees all the new things and bobs his head to the fife-and-drum corp music. He gets *Very* upset when we leave the event !! The flight suit also has a concealed disposable diaper which keeps him clean but prevents him from making messes in public!
It takes a little while to get them used to wearing the flight suit , but its not too difficult. he even helps me put it on him now.
Whichever bird you pick will be a good bird for you. But since you already have a cockatiel, I suggest a Quaker.
I have 3 quakers and a conure. Quakers and conures are both awesome species - it's really hard to choose between the two! As much as I love my conure, my quakers have a zest for life that is infectious!! They are extremely smart little birds that have the best personalities. All three are little cuddle bugs, that love to be held, petted and carried around by everyone in my family. Quakers and conures both can talk. Quakers seem to be a little more clearer than the conures that I've had in my life (nanday and sunday). Some of the conures have high-pitched voices, and that makes them a little less easy to understand (blue-crowned conures, like paulie, are the clearest) All of our birds talk to some extent - they all laugh. Quakers make great pets, you just have to be dedicated enough to spend the time with them that they need. If not, you may end up with a bird that you cannot handle. This goes for a lot of species though. They are easy to train, easy to handle, and once you have one- you will fall in love! Good luck with whatever you choose.
My favorite bird is my little CLOWN bird, my Sun Conure. He is so funny, so loving and so comical! He plays games with me. He throws buttons at me (loves buttons) and he'll run across the couch, laugh and run at me like he's going to kill me, then he bite bite bite bite bites my arm (playing...I can barely feel it) and laughs again.) He is the funniest bird I have ever had. When I lived in Fl I had a Quaker. They are sweet and good talkers. The Sun Conure is not much of a talker but makes up for it in his beautiful color!
Good luck with whichever you decide on.
conures so lovable!

No comments:

Post a Comment