Monday, May 24, 2010

Conure poop changing colors!any vets out there?

ok i have a almost 3 month old yellow sided conure. she asks very babyish and cuddles with me. this is my first conure, but not my first bird. sometimes her poop is redish brown and somtimes it is green? is that ok? my mom says it is natural because of the color of her food.(which is a mix of colored pellets, sunflower seed, and millet...also my mom doesn't know much about animals I research them non- stop though.) she also has fruit and yogurt. I read that if she has red or brown poop she may have poisoning or liver diesease.(sorry for the spelling) Can you tell me if this is really natural? I have had her for only 3 weeks and have bonded with her so of course i don't want her to die (plus she was 400 dollars so a waste of money for a dead bird that would be.)
Answers:
Educate yourself. Subscribe to BirdTalk magazine and read it from front to back every month. Vets know little to nothing about birds
NO Yoghurt. What would the bird eat in the wild that would have milk products in it? Nothing. Her poop is okay. Depends what they eat. If she eats berries it will be red.
She needs fresh vegies. Chop celery, shred carrots, chop apples, kiwi fruit, bananas, red peppers, green peppers and offer that ONLY in the morning. Parrots do not eat seeds or pellets in the wild. Give her natural food. Also soak buckwheat, wheat berries, barley and wild rice mix in very warm water over night. Add this to the vegie mix. My birds love this. They get seeds for their second feeding in the afternoon. Be sure she has a cuttle bone for calcium. Also clip a leaf of Romain to the side of the cage. She will enjoy pecking at it and will get vitamin A that she needs to be healthy. While you are researching - google Nurturing Dominance and read everything Sally Blanchard writes.
Good luck and good you want your bird to be optimally healthy and have no disease.
FIrst of all, I don't think you should give her yogurt everyday. Every once in a while is find, but not that regularly. Birds process dairy differently (it's not exactly natural for them..). If you're feeding her berries, then her poop will be the color of her food, but if you're not, definately take her to an avian certified vet (find one near you here:www.aav.org/vet-lookup) Red could come from the fruits and green can sometimes come from eating a lot of seeds, but I recommend you take her to a vet. Hope this helps and good luck!
It'd good that you are so observant, keep it up... but your mom is right about this, Different food cause different colors in poop. Give them lots of fruit and it will get really runny too. My babies have Dried mango in their food when they eat that their poop turns orange... There are a lot of other signs of illness you need to be aware of, so being familair with your Conures behaviors... whats normal for them is important.
There are a couple of Websites I highly recommend.
www.wingedwisdom.com
www.birdsnways.com
Both are very infomative.
I'm not a vet, but I've had birds for over 20 years.and one was a Nanday Conure. When I fed him a lot of fruit, his poop would become green and watery. When he ate more seed or pellets, it would become more firm and brownish. I eventually (gradually) switched all of my birds to pelleted food (not colored, though). These pelleted foods have been formulated for maximum nutrition, and I only give seeds as a "treat", once in awhile. I had my Conure for over 25 years, and I don't know how old he was when I found him, out in the yard. Good luck and Happy Birding.
Do not worry about it. Red-brownish poop means that your conure is eating pellets. Thats how you can tell that it is eating the pellets when you're trying to convert them from seed to pellets. Even if you read the back of the label of the pellet food, it'll say that your parrot's dropping will turn to a reddish brown color and thats how you know that he's eating it. So, there is nothign to worry about =)
My birds have the same thing when I give them different things.When I give them nutri berries, their poop the next day is always the color of the nutri berry they ate the night before.
You can always have a sample of their poop analyzed at your vet if you are really concerned. Good luck!
Yes this is normal the pellets will do that .. I rember the first time i gave my the zupreem fruit pellets i thought it was blood i ran them to the next town at 12 at night to the ER vet god did i feel stupid an pay an arm and a leg .. Your doing great .. Cut back on the sun flower seeds not as good for them .. Have your mom get a bag of frozen veggies an put a 1/4 cup under hot water every day make sure and toss what she dont eat in a few hours but its way better for her!!(corn peas beans carrots)) give her tons of diff veggies raw an some steamed..Look up on the net things parrots eat you will get alot new things to keep her happy and busy!!
Good luck =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment