Monday, May 24, 2010

Do Birds Feel Sadness If You Take Away Their Eggs Or Chicks?


Answers:
Actually yes they do, I have 5 doves, 3 that are females. The oldest female usually has an egg about twice a month sometimes the egg is not fertile, and when I try to remove it she gets defense as all moms do when some one takes their kid. Then after wards she'll sit in the same position the egg once was, and she'll start to pace around looking for it. So yeah pretty much they get sad. But don't worry in about a day or two they'll get over it.
They do yes
No. I have two pet chickens and if I don't grab the eggs fast enough they break them open and eat them.
Yes... Just like if ur child taken by another stranger.
Yes it does because my birds are always laying eggs but they get really sad when i take the egg out of the cage.
Birds will KNOW you took their eggs, sadness may not be the correct term but they know. Domesticated birds such as Parakeets, Parrots etc still have the natural instincts they have in the wild to survive. If they lay eggs and you continue to remove them they in turn will LAY more eggs to replace them OFTEN RESULTING IN THE DEATH OF THE MOTHER BIRD. If you must remove them replace them with fake eggs or marbles.
Several of your replies tell me that MOST people who take on these sweet birds have NO clue as to how to raise them. You on the other hand seem to at least CARE about them. If you need info about raising birds there are great sites online for you. Look up "Lisa Shea Forums", she has a great one.
I don't think animals have the same emotions we do. They notice the eggs or chicks are gone.But breeding behaviors in birds are a response to environmental and biological cues. In other words, birds lay eggs because cues in the environment stimulate egg production and breeding behavior. Then the presence of eggs and chicks stimulate parental care behaviors. I don't for a second think that birds sit around and think about having babies the way humans do.
yes,eggs or their chiks are a part of that bird.
They probably do to some extent. I know that my hens were devastated when one of their 'sisters' died. They were running around the yard looking for her and calling out for her. They recovered within the day, though. My hens don't seem to mind much when I take their eggs though... It might be different if they were broody.
yes, birds know when you touched or took one of their eggs or chicks.
I know cuz I work at a pet shop and we get new babies every day.
I also have 3 love birds that i reaised since they poped out of theyr lil shell! they are sooo cute

No comments:

Post a Comment