Friday, May 21, 2010

Can you put food red food dye in homade humming bird nectar?


Answers:
You do not need to add the red coloring..the color of the feeder itself (most are red) will be enough to attract the bird. There is a lot of debate about the red food coloring as it is thought to build up in the hummingbirds kidney and other internal organs. Even the store bought stuff is considered bad for them. Just use plain sugar and water to be safe.
Depends on why you want to do this %26 since I don't know why you want to do this I say no you shouldn't
probably. food dye shouldnt harm the birds.
yes you can but you can also just buy a red hummingbird feeder then it wouldnt make a difference. They sell the ones that look like big strawberries.
I read somewhere that it irritates their stomachs.
There is not need to use red food coloring. I have been using 1 cup sugar to 4 cups water for years without any food coloring. Normally hummingbird feeders are red which is enough to attract hummingbirds.
some dye might hurt the birds I would ask a vet about that, but I think you should just keep the necter just the way it is

No comments:

Post a Comment