Monday, May 24, 2010

Cracked beak on baby budgie. Please help!?

Today I went to check on the baby budgies in the aviary when I noticed that one of the babies had its beak literally hanging off. I don't know what caused it to do this but I am asking everyone here what I should do. I really do not know, as I have never come across this before.
Pictures:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/p...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/p...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/p...
Sorry the pictures arn't very good, I didn't want to stress the poor baby out for too long. It is worse than it looks, just hanging there. Thanks everyone for your help.
Answers:
Take him to the vet.
Stick it back on with crazy glue
His mum or dad had a fight with the baby or someone else did it
Is the parents in a separate cage from the other budgies?
Budgies sometimes attack another budgie and they always want the nestbox that another budgie has.
So I always put them in a different cage because of that
When I started breeding budgies 11 years ago I had a budgie attack the mum and the 3week old babies three died and one stayed alive. Looked after by another pair. Beaky's beak fell off all together though and his bottom beak kept on growing, I had to give him a drop of water in the mouth every hour because his tongue was dry - until he came out of the nest. Then Beaky learned how to eat seeds and treats. and he always drank water by himself (Beaky lived to be 6 years old)
I hope your little one will be fine.
Take the little one to a vet as soon as possible. Budgies use their beaks for a variety of different reasons, for instance drinking water and climbing. A problem like this is likely to be painful and make their life more difficult, possibly even endanger it.

No comments:

Post a Comment