Friday, May 21, 2010

Chicken health problem, 1 dead, 2 sick?

Basically, we had to bring chicks (8) in because of mild flooding- though they still had a dry area where they were, it seemed unwise to leave them out. So, we brought them and their mother in.
FIRST NIGHT
I went in to see the mother wasn't sitting on two of her chicks. I removed them because they were cold and shaking and sat up all night to warm them. I replaced one in the morning because he seemed well, but the other was acting strangely so I kept him with me as I did things. I saw another chick seem ill, so I took him out as well.
Chick 1 Symptoms: Lethargic, apparent blindness, can't seem to stand/walk, can't blink, no eating or drinking, but pecking at random. Neck is lolling to one side. NECK AND HEAD ONLY seem to be seizing. Chicken dies after increased lack of movement.
Chick 2 Symptoms: spasmic jerks of neck, walking in circles, apparent short-sightedness. Bright eyed and awake, chirping, until a sudden apparent seizure. Then very still and cold.
Answers:
Well, it might be a combination of things. They might have been too cold (chicks should be kept at about 89 degrees), or it sounds like a bacterial infection. That would explain the blindness and bobbing of the head. I'm not sure what you could do the help their health though, I've never been in a situation such as yours. I wish you the best of luck though and I hope that I was of some help to you.
Chemicals %26 Pesticides can cause these problems with poultry. This is also common among many chickens that are not organically raised鈥?
I really don't know this answer, I would be too upset to do anything but care for them, but it really does seem like some sort of poisoning, it also seems like shock that some animals can have, but I haven't heard of it in chickens, I'm no real help. I'm sorry.
Sounds like Newcastle disease, possibly Marek's disease.
Either way there isn't anything that can be done now except to make them as comfortable as possible or euthanize any of them that are exhibiting the worse signs.
I'd suggest your birds be vaccinated before you plan to let any of the hens go broody again. It is easy to vaccinate the birds and the Newcastle vaccines they have can be administered to birds over 2wks of age. You can email me if you would like more information about this.
Tough break about the flooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment