Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can mated doves live with a baby lovebird?

Hello. I am interested in getting a lovebird. I have a small room that my already bought doves fly around, and are very peaceful. I want to keep a lovebird in the room as well (Cage is supplied for doves/lovebird to hide out), but I want to make sure one of the doves will not kill or attack the lovebird (Depending on whether the bird is male or female) for 'stealing' his or her mate. Can mated and slightly jealous doves (Attacked toy dove with real bird call) live with a peaceful lovebird? Can they eat the same food? (Wild bird seed)
Help much appreciated. I will love you forever.
Answers:
the lovebird will hurt your doves. doves are very peaceful but lovies are very territorial i have a lovebird(mango) who is sooooooo sweet my 3 year old dresses him up (he was superman for halloween) but when he was a bit younger, around 2-3 months he kicked my blue crowned conures(much bigger than him) but, he bit him and i had to break them up and my conure is very aggressive but couldnt defend himself. dont do it, trust me. been there, done that, regreted it!! their diets are different as well, look into it youll see. they can play outside together but not share a cage.
Lovebirds are territorial creatures. And while your doves are friendly, the lovebird might hurt your doves. A friend of mine made a mistake of popping in another bird in the lovebird's cage and the next day, they found the bird dead with lots of peck-marks. I strongly suggest you keep them separate. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment