Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can lovebirds eat parakeet food?

I was wondering?
Answers:
Lovebirds can eat parakeet food if that's what you consider, but parakeet food won't give your lovebirds enough nutrients and proteins. Obviosely, parakeet food is made specially for parakeets and food for lovebirds are specially made for lovebirds! The same rule goes onto cats and dogs. If a cat eats dog food in general, chances are, that cat won't get its daily vitamins because dog food doesn't contain Taurine, in which dogs can make their own. Cats NEED Taurine in their bodies, and there can be some vitamins that your lovebird might need if it eats parakeet food.
Obviously they can, but it wouldn't be good for them. Every bird has its own needs and different nutritional needs as well. You should feed the bird the food that is made for it.
Lovebird or Cocketeil food would be best, with some fruits and veggies on the side.
no but my beaver can and will
i have both kind of birds and i feed them the same thing. zupreem pellets for small hookbills, a seed mix for small hookbills as well as fruits and vegies.
well that is a very good question, i have three parakeets and one quaker parrot and one day i gave my quaker parrot a little bite of parakeet food because i ran out of parrot food, and he loved it, now i give my quaker parrot parakeet food as a sweet treat...i would say yes try giving your lovebird some parakeet food and if he enjoys eating it then you could give him more,it would not harm him if he eats it, because the substance of parakeet food is almost the same taste as other bird food but with a little twist in flavors.. did i answer your question Eric From Jesus...
No although they are about the same size as parakeets...their beak size as well as their nutritional needs are different. I would suggest either cockatiel or conure food.IMy friend has a lovebird. She feeds it. Lafeber cockatiel pellets,Fiesta lovebird/conure food,and fruits and veggies.
You will see that on the bag of Kaytee Exact Rainbow it will say the pellets are for keets AND lovebirds. Only buy it for keets. I dont know why some people put lovebirds ans parakeets in the same category.
Yes, they can. Mine (and even my larger parrots) enjoy parakeet food - it has more millet seed in it than the types they manufacture for lovebirds and cockatiels. They all seem to like millet seed and the spray millet too. I give my lovebirds, plumhead keets, moustache keets, and even my sun and blue crowned conures a food cup with parakeet seed, a cup for lovebird/cockatiel/conure seed, and a cup for appropriate sized pellets; in addition to their water cup(s) of course. I also feed all of my birds a mixture of cooked rice and mixed veggies.
Most seed mixes are based on millet and/or safflower seeds anyway so it won't be bad for the birds. When I was breeding birds I would get my seed mixes from a wholesaler who carried over 30 different types of seed and allowed his customers to choose their own mixes (a pound of this, 3 pounds of that, 5 pounds of the other, etc.), whatever their particular birds seemed to enjoy most. Because of all the different sized birds I have, I had three separate seed mixes that he kept on file for me; one for the smaller birds, a medium sized mix, and a large mix. Additionally, because I then lived in a cold climate, I would add a bit more of the high protein/fatty type seeds during the winter to help keep their metabolism higher; and then would change each mix when breeding season came around.
The point I am trying to make and the key to a healthy bird diet is a good mixture of everything, including lots of fresh veggies and/or fruits; as well as grains. My birds all absolutely ADORE plain and honeynut Cheerios and they are a wonderful weaning food for baby birds too.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find Board game ideasReyou and Rielle play various board games with mommy. Find out who wins! Board game recommendations and ideas. Kids having fun with board games. Pororo choco...


    Please Visit at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_s16jtiJw

    ReplyDelete