Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can lovebirds, cockatiels and budgies live together?

I wouldnt want them to fight or kill each other but if I get a huge spacious cage for them. I want to get lovebirds and a cockatiel because I already have budgies. Just wondering if they can stand each other.
Answers:
ABSOLUTELY NO LOVEBIRDS! Lovebirds are the most aggressive and have been known to kill even macaws when housed together. I almost ended up with a dead conure this way! Cockatiels should be fine as long as you introduce the birds slowly. Either buy a separate cage to keep them separate at first, or put a barrier in the cage. Let me know if you have more questions!
Normally it's a bad idea to add any birds to an established group. Even if they're the same species. This is what I was told at the pet store when I wanted to buy an additional budgie.
I used to have a cockatiel and a budgie and kept them in the same cage they always got along great and soon became inseperable. I would put them in a room where they won't be bothered and watch them for a bit to make sure they get along before you put them in the cage, but that's just my opinion.
Lovebirds cannot live with those two other types of birds. Cocktiels and Budgies will be great on the other hand.
If you scratch lovebirds,than things will be mellow.
before putting them together, they must become more familiar with eachother. i suggest putting them is sepperate cages for atleast a month. also you should let them out at the same time
No, lovebirds are too aggressive. Sometimes cockatiels and parakeets can live together, but sometimes they will fight. Depends on the temperament of both. Be prepared to house them separately if they don't get along. A few months in cages next to each other to give them time to get to know each other would be recommended first.
I have 2 lovebirds, 6 cockatiels, 4 kakarikis and 112 budgies in a large aviary
I saw a budgie preen a lovebird the other week
I spend about 5 hours a day with them and I have never seen them fight
No! Good gracious no! Lovebirds are WAY more aggressive than cockatiels!

3 comments:

  1. You can't just pull all of them together, you have to have some toys for them to play with on their own in a large cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MxzyYKi1LE
    Check out this video, my lovebirds, cockatiel and budgie living happily together

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out my blog for this topic and few videos of them together too.
    lovepetbirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete