Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can i get my cockatiel an Avid chipped?

Is that possible? Its just a normal chip. And if so how much would it cost, estimated.
All reasonable answer are appreciated!
Answers:
yes you can, just take him to your normal avian vet and they should be able to do it for you. however i dont reccomend avid chips becuase early ones used to migrate within the body(they still might do that). At the hospital where i work we use HomeAgain chips.
the costs depends on where you go, however they average around 40-50 dollars
You should take him to a vet that specializes in birds. It's a pretty simple process, but I'd only trust a professional to do it. I'm not sure of the cost.
An avian vet might, but I am sure its much more than a dog or cat.
Technically you can, but as the vet tech said use a Home Again microchip. I work for a vet and I asked the Home Again representative this exact question. He told me that the problem with birds is that they dont have alot of skin to implant the chip in . After implantation its possible to still feel
the chip. And the chip is the size of a grain of rice which means a good size needle has to be used to insert it. That's fine for a dog or cat as they have so much extra skin, but can pose a problem for a tiny bird. And you dont want to have to sedate the bird to do it because that can pose an even bigger problem.I guess if the bird is a rare expensive bird , I might think of doing it. If you do decide to do it PLEASE find an avian vet who is experienced in implanting these chips in birds, not one who has only done cats and dogs. Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment