Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Whole Flock of Sparrows Got Into My Aviary?!?

I just finished netting at least 10 sparrows and letting them out of my aviary that houses small parrots. It took 20 minutes or so, not sure how long they had been there.
They were flying around everywhere, some of them bleeding from bashing themselves against the wire. And they did come in direct contact with my birds.
I'm worried about disease, etc, what steps should I take to make sure my birds won't get sick from this?
Answers:
There is a good chance that there will not be a disease issue. However, there is a parasite issue. I don't know how many small parrots that you might have in the house, but contact the local avian vet and see what they say. In the mean time, monitor the parrots for unusual behaviour, listlessness and so forth. This would be a good indicator of a disease present in your flock. Also check the stool and see if it is runny, clear or something similiar-this is a good indicator of a systemic infection. Sparrows could have lice, mites or similiar parasites on them. You might start handling your flock and check for these on them. If they are present, check with the avian vet for appropriate treatment. Good luck.
Sounds like you have a breach somewhere in your aviary. You better find how they got in there and repair it or they will just keep coming back. I would not worry about disease...but possibly mites.

No comments:

Post a Comment