Thursday, May 7, 2009

A baby parakeet wants to rip off my finger- what should I do?

Okay so my dad picked up this bird that most of escaped from his home-he came here two weeks ago and was about the size of my thumb now its about the length of my pinky.My dad brought him in because he feared that he would die in the outside.

The bird came in and we gave it Cockatiel food-we have a three year old Cockatiel and it ate it all.But three days had passed and the bird had not touched its water.So I decided to tip his peak into the water so that he could drink-but he almost ripped off a part of my finger and he's a baby-not even my adult Cokatiel bites that hard when he's angry.Therefore I did this with gloves and have been doing so every since.But today I decided to change him from the small cage that he's in into my Cokatiels cage-while he was out of his cage.While I transferred him from one cage to the other the bird bit down on my hand and would not let go-I had to squeeze it so that it would release me-the bite was so hard that the pain and mark lasted for half hour
Answers:
hm, your dad got it from the wild? um...this bird looks like a baby hummingbird and I think that you have tell your dad to put it in a bird rehabilitate center and it will be okay.
I would say bite him back but that only works on dogs. Try misting him with water and then maybe he will take some water while cleaning his wings.
The Parakeet is scared, having gotten a taste of outdoor life %26 should be left alone to get used to his new environment. Also, Parakeets should be eating Parakeet seed, not cockatiel food. Leave the bird in one cage only, as you may be angering/upsetting him with the changes you're making. Make sure he always has the gravel sticks that slip onto the wooden bar. He will drink his water once you put him in one permanent cage %26 leave him alone. Maybe you should buy a book on Parakeets to see what you should do day to day. Parakeets love to eat the celery leaves on a celery stalk. You can offer that to him once in a while as a peace offering.
Hello- its me again- I had to use my other yahoo id (I'm glad I have two yahoo emails) because I just noticed that you can't add responses to ur own questions.

Anyhow, William I will try that- great idea- thanks.
OBG (Acronym for ur id name) I know its a parakeet because I have had them before- I had seven at one time when I was child but they slowly died off and I've had other birds but no parakeets since.
Shorstuff- yes- we got the parakeet- parakeet seed. Its just that for the first three or four days we had him consuming Cockatiel food for it was all we had at hand. I will head ur advice and let him stay in his cage- its big enough for him for he is very small but since the Cockatiel cage has a swing and other toys I thought that he would enjoy it more. I meant to go to a pet store and ask what size or type of toys I can get for a baby parakeet so that he might have something to do while in there. I will do this before the end of the week. Actually buying a parakeet book is not a bad idea. Thanks. Cool advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment